Links for Course Syllabi:
MSTRY Band (Wind Ensemble): 22-23 MSTRY Band Syllabus
ADV Band (Symphonic Band): 22-23 ADV Band Syllabus
Percussion: 22-23 Percussion Syllabus
JAZZ BAND AUDITIONS 22-23
SUBMIT AUDITIONS HERE: https://forms.gle/aDXoWWr65z7UeSNo9
Auditions for Johns Creek Jazz Ensemble will be through video audition. Video will be due to Mr. Daniels by 11/30/22. Please make sure you follow the recording rules when videoing your audition.
Jazz Band will rehearse Tuesdays & Thursdays from 3:45-5 pm in the Fall Semester. For the Month of January and February, the Pit Orchestra will be rehearsing on some Tuesdays, schedule TBD. We will adjust to either have sectionals or rehearsals when we can, we will let you know as soon as we do. The Band Calendar is the best place to check to stay the most current.
Audition requirements are follows:
Saxes, Trumpet, Trombone, Piano, Guitar, Bass, Flute, Vibes:
- All scales from the scale sheet, memorized.
- Eb Alto/Bari Sax Scales
- Bb Tenor Sax Scales
- Bb Trumpet Scales
- Trombone Scales
- Guitar Scales (Vibes/Flute, transpose up 8va if needed)
- Piano Scales
- Bass Scales
- F Blues – Improvise a solo through the recording over the F blues track. (2x through 12 bars)
- All students auditioning for jazz band will perform measures 1-32 (First page) of the jazz etude entitled “Stellar” by Jim Snidero. Listen to the recording of the solo for the correct jazz style. Then, practice performing the solo with the background; you will perform with this background music in your audition, so be certain to practice staying with the tempo of the track!
- Stellar - Winds, Piano, Guitar, Bass (Vibes/Flute use Guitar)
- The Jazz Tune – Stellar –with the recorded accompaniment track, meas.1-32 only.
- Play 24 measures each of the following styles at appropriate tempos:
- Swing – medium tempo (quarter = 120bpm)
- Swing – fast tempo (quarter = 172bpm)
- Latin – medium tempo (quarter = 128bpm)
- Funk – medium tempo (quarter = 96bpm)
The below are recordings which you will use at the audition.
The below are recordings to which to listen and copy. You will not use these at the audition.
- Stellar (with Alto/Bari Sax)
- Stellar (with Tenor Sax)
- Stellar (with Trumpet)
- Stellar (with Trombone)
- Stellar (with Guitar) (Vibes/Flute)
- Stellar (with Piano)
- Stellar (with Drums/Bass)
Requirements for Submission
The each portion of the audition video must be done in one, continuous, unedited take. You may cut for each portion (Scales, Improv, Etude). Your face and fingers/valves/slides must be visible at all times in the video.
Audition results will be posted on 11/2/22.